The Fellow is Northwestern Michigan College's highest honor, awarded annually since 1964. Fellows may be nominated because they have demonstrated influential networking on behalf of the College, have demonstrated a pattern of outstanding financial or personal time contributions to NMC, or as a retiree of the College continue to contribute back to their academic or professional fields as volunteers, mentors or advisors. Exceptional contributions in one or more of these areas may justify nomination. No staff, faculty, or trustee shall be named a Fellow while still employed or in office.
2016 recipient: Chuck Judson
Attorney and community servant Charles B. “Chuck” Judson has been named the 2016 recipient of the NMC Fellow award, the highest honor bestowed by the NMC Board of Trustees.
As a member and emeritus chair of the NMC Foundation Board, Judson has been a volunteer and advocate for NMC for two decades. He joined the Foundation Board in 1996 and served as chair in 2001. During his tenure Judson helped to establish the Great Lakes campus, home to signature programs including the Great Lakes Maritime Academy, Great Lakes Culinary Institute, and the Great Lakes Water Studies Institute.
His philanthropy has even longer longevity. Since 1986, he has given to programs ranging from student scholarships to the Dennos Museum Center, and served as a volunteer and champion for NMC’s Annual Fund Campaign.
NMC is just one of the many Traverse City organizations to benefit from Judson’s time and energy. From serving pancakes at the National Cherry Festival to serving on the Traverse City Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Judson is known for his civic-minded heart and soul. Most recently the length and breadth of his community service culminated in his selection as the 2015 recipient of the Traverse City Area Chamber's Distinguished Service Award. The DSA is among the oldest community service awards, dating to 1929.
“Chuck has served as a mentor or advisor to many,” said Rebecca Teahen, executive director of the NMC Foundation. “One of the primary reasons he is so often relied upon in this role is his clarity of purpose, thoughtful approach, and strong moral character.”
In his professional life as an attorney and shareholder at Smith Haughey Rice & Roegge, Judson serves as an attorney of counsel to NMC.
Past NMC Fellows
- 2015: Bruce Byl
- 2014: Richard and Diana Milock
- 2013: Dr. Don Good, Walter J. Hooper
- 2012: Hettie Molvang
- 2011: Terry S. Malone
- 2010: James MacInnes, Elaine C. Wood
- 2009: Jean Howard, Ted Kidd, Phyllis Kidd, D. Jerome Slack, Margery Slack
- 2008: Charles E. Benson, Barbara S. Benson, Louise Hagerty, Wayne H. Lobdell, Terry Lobdell
- 2007: Donald Oleson, Sr., Gerald Oleson, Jr.
- 2006: Walter E. Beardslee, Elaine L. Beardslee
- 2005: William G. Janis, Jacqueline E. Ribel, Mark L. Ribel
- 2004: Rotary Charities of Traverse City
- 2003: Christian P. Kamm, Shirley S. Okerstrom
- 2002: Marvin Rorick, Luella Rorick
- 2001: George C. Comden, Bart T. Stupak, Norman Veliquette, Marjory Veliquette
- 2000: Nick Rajkovich, Frances Rajkovich
- 1999: Robert T. Hughes, Robert Rudd, Grace Rudd, Capt. George J. Ryan
- 1998: Thomas C. Jones, Edward C. Walker
- 1997: James J. Beckett, Al Shumsky, Dudley Smith, Barbara Smith III
- 1996: David Lee Gray, Paul T. Johnson, Frances B. Johnson, Donald W. Nugent, Gail M. Nugent
- 1995: Dr. Charles D. Kesner, Richard W. Olson, Dr. C. Russell Wentworth
- 1994: Dr. Charles Kelly, Dolores Kelly, Barbara I.C. MacFarlane, Jane E. Norton, Frank E. Noverr
- 1993: Walter Holland
- 1992: Susie (Kildee) Janis, Paul Welch
- 1991: Sen. George A. McManus, Jr.
- 1990: Helen W. Milliken, JoAnne M. Zimmerman
- 1989: Gordon Lightfoot, Arthur M. Schmuckal, Mary E. Schmuckal, Adm. Willard J. Smith, U.S.C.G.
- 1988: Robert L. Goff, Jack B. Stegenga
- 1987: Marie G. McCarthy, Mrs. William E. Votruba
- 1986: Bernard C. Rink
- 1985: Frank W. Tezak, Ralph J. Lautner, Mary E. Lautner, Joseph H. Rogers
- 1984: Alice A. Drulard, Blake Forslund
- 1983: Michael Dennos, Barbara Dennos, V. Adm. Paul E. Trimble (Ret.)
- 1981: Lester M. Biederman, Warren W. Cline, M.D.
- 1980: Lt. Gov. Connie Binsfeld
- 1979: Doris Nerbonne, Everett R. Hames
- 1978: John L. Horton
- 1977: Julius C. Sleder
- 1976: Ferris N. Crawford
- 1974: James P. DeLapa, Andrew L. Olson
- 1973: Harry L. Weitz, M.D., Sen. Robert P. Griffin
- 1972: Dorothy C. Hall, Preston N. Tanis
- 1971: James E. Clune, Arthur G. Whitelock
- 1970: Harry T. Running, Mrs. Mark (Helen) Osterlin
- 1969: Corrine J. Naar
- 1968: Julius H. Beers
- 1967: Eugene B. Power
- 1966: Wilbur C. Munnecke
- 1965: George I. Altenburg, Gov. William G. Milliken, Leslie Tremaine, Bernice Tremaine
- 1964: Arnell G. Engstrom, Gerald Oleson, Frances Oleson, Ferris J. Rennie, Harold Wise, Imogene Wise, Ellis A. Wunsch, Ph.D.