We look forward to welcoming you to Traverse City, Michigan! As you progress through the application and visa interview process your next step will be to plan travel to the United States.
When to Arrive
The best time to arrive for the start of your program is around 1 week (7 days) prior to the date listed on your I-20. Arriving sooner than that can be challenging as hotel rates during August (if you will begin classes in fall) are expensive in the Traverse City area. Please note that NMC does not place students with host families so accommodation is the sole responsibility of the student.
- F-1 students are allowed to arrive in the U.S. up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on their I-20.
- Orientation for international students typically takes place 1 week prior to the start of classes and is required for all incoming international students. Check your e-mail for information about orientation.
- If you are going to live in our Residence Halls, your move-in date will be around 5 days before classes begin. Please inquire about move in dates prior to making your travel arrangements.
- Late registration is not permitted under any circumstances. Students must arrive prior to the start of classes and in time for orientation or they risk having their I-20 canceled and admission deferred until the next semester.
Where to Arrive
- Northwestern Michigan College is located in Traverse City, Michigan. You may choose to arrive to:
- TVC – Traverse City Cherry Capital Airport is 10 minutes by car from NMC
- GRR – Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, MI is 2.5 hours by car from NMC
- DTW – Detroit Metro Airport in Detroit, MI is 4.5 hours by car from NMC
- We offer complimentary pick-up from Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) in Traverse City. Please contact your International Advisor to arrange your travel details.