Intensive English for Academic Programs
At Northwestern Michigan College, we recognize that not all students can meet our minimum proficiency requirement in English. There are others who need to improve their academic language skills to help them succeed in their program. For that reason, we have created Intensive English for Academic Programs (IEAP).
What is IEAP?
- A program to provide the best in ESL instruction and learning to international students and those learning English as a second language (ESL)
Who is this program for?
- Degree-seeking students who have not met NMC’s minimum English proficiency requirements
- Students who need to improve their academic language skills
What does the program look like?
- IEAP allows students to learn and practice academic English as a Second Language
- A semester of study is made up of a set of courses designed to give the student maximum exposure to the English language in an academic setting
- Courses will include (but will not be limited to):
- ESL 88 Writing & Grammar
- ESL 89 Reading & Vocabulary
- Speaking & Listening Practicum
- The student’s schedule will also include other courses for college credit toward a chosen academic program of study
- IEAP aims to prepare the student to progress toward college-level English courses that apply to the chosen program of study and degree completion