State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

What is the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement?

SARA Approved LogoThe State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement is a voluntary agreement among its member states and U.S. territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.

As of August 12, 2016, eleven states are participating in the Midwestern State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (M-SARA): Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Similar agreements have been approved by all four regional higher education compacts to tie them together into an inter-regional agreement overseen by a national council, thereby creating a nationwide framework for interstate reciprocity and simplifying the state authorization process for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs.

In collaboration with the Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) and the National Council for State Authorization Agreements (NC-SARA), the M-SARA Regional Steering Committee establishes and disseminates criteria for state participation and amends such criteria, as appropriate, over time.

Professional Licensure

Northwestern Michigan College is approved to offer programs that may lead to licensure in the state of Michigan. Northwestern Michigan College cannot state that our online programs will lead to licensure in other states. If you are planning to enroll in a program with the intention of earning licensure in a state other than Michigan, you should contact the licensing agency in the appropriate state prior to enrollment in the program at Northwestern Michigan College.

Nursing Resource:

National Council of State Boards of Nursing

Complaint Process

First, if a student has concerns related to classroom situations or administrative actions, he/she should contact the faculty or staff member(s) with whom he/she has an issue. It may be possible to resolve the concerns without the need for formal institutional action.

Second, if a student’s complaint is not resolved satisfactorily, or if the complaint cannot be resolved by contacting the faculty or staff member(s), the student should file a complaint through Northwestern Michigan College's complaint process.

Third, if the student is unable to resolve the complaint through Northwestern Michigan College's complaint process, a complaint can be filed with the State of Michigan, Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau (CSCL). How to file a post-secondary student complaint with CSCL. If a student wishes to complete and submit a complaint, they should complete the CSCL complaint form (CSCL complaint form) and attach any pertinent additional documentation.

State of Michigan Contact:

James R. Farhat, Specialist
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Licensing Division
PO BOX 30018
Lansing, MI 48909
517.373.2162 fax