Off-Campus Travel

Student organizations often travel off-campus for a variety of reasons, conferences, events and meetings.  Here’s what you need to know about off-campus travel:

  • All travel plans should be made well in advance through your advisor. 
  • Cash advances for travel are not available. Hotel and registration fees can be paid in advance by completing the proper paperwork. 
  • If you are planning to travel in a rental vehicle or use of a college vehicle, the driver(s) must be a part-time or full-time employee of the college. Students are not allowed to drive regardless of age or their student worker status. 

When renting a vehicle, please call Steve Westphal at (231) 995-1130 to assist you in this process.  Again, it is very important to make your travel plans early as it is often difficult reserve large passenger vans.

If you are planning to leave your vehicle overnight, please call Campus Services at (231) 995-1111 to find the best parking place. Only the Dogwood, Chestnut, Maple, and Elm parking lots are used for overnight parking. 

Advisors are encouraged to attend all off-campus events with students, although it is not mandatory.

All students traveling off-campus for college related activities will need to complete the Northwestern Michigan College Trip/Activity Liability Waiver [link to this?] and return it to your advisor prior to the trip. 

If you have any questions regarding arranging your travel plans for your group or perhaps making travel plans for a speaker to come to campus, please call the Student Activities Office at (231) 995-1043.