NMC magazine digital issues
Check out some student artwork on NMC Magazine's Digital Issue »
What you'll find at NMC
- Transfer courses, two-year associate degrees and professional certificates
- Online learning options
- Access to BA and advanced degrees through NMC's University Center
- Small classes, personal attention
- Scholarship opportunities
- Reasonable tuition
- Excellent academic reputation
- Dedicated faculty & staff
- On-campus housing options
Visual Communications - Commercial Art
At NMC, emphasis is placed on learning marketable job skills, process, problem-solving techniques and portfolio preparation. Students explore a full range of skills: drawing, typography, graphic design, computer illustration technique, animation, film, team-work and new media design in a unique, studio-environment classroom with plentiful opportunities for hands-on work including a Studio class where printed and produced pieces are done for area Non-Profits.
The program is oriented to careers in advertising design, film, animation and graphic design. Employment opportunities include entry-level positions in publishing and printing firms, design firms, manufacturers, advertising agencies and newspapers. Web design, film and animation are especially in-demand niches within the field. Freelance work (self-employment) is another common option either by itself or paired with a salaried position.
NMC’s curriculum is augmented by student publications that offer you opportunities to gain real-world experience. The student newspaper White Pine Press is published several times each semester. The NMC Magazine is published semi-annually.
You are encouraged to transfer to a four-year college or university to earn a bachelor’s degree (BFA) if you plan to seek higher level positions. Students who plan to transfer may complete the Associate of Applied Science degree in Visual Communication or the Associate in Science and Arts degree requirements.
Want to see what you'll create in class?
Click a link to view a gallery of student projects
- Visual Communications 2 »
- Visual Communications 3 »
- Visual Communications 5 »
- VCA 127 - Digital Imaging »
- VCA 150 - Digital Graphic Design »
- VCA 100 - Materials and Techniques »
- VCA 146 - Interactive Animation »
- VCA 125 - Typography »
- VCA 250 - Time Based Media »
- VCA 225 - Visual Communications Studio »
- VCA 235 - Visual Communications Portfolio »