Visual Communications - Commercial Art
At NMC, emphasis is placed on learning marketable job skills, the design process, problem-solving techniques and portfolio preparation for a career in the Commercial Arts. The program is oriented to careers in advertising design, film, animation and graphic design. There are plentiful opportunities for hands-on work including a Studio class where students partner with area Non-Profits to complete Service-learning projects in both digital and print media.
Employment opportunities include entry-level positions in web, print and film at design firms, manufacturers, advertising agencies and publications. Web design, film, social media and animation are especially in-demand niches within the field. Freelance work (self-employment) is another common option either by itself or paired with a salaried position. Technical classes in this program offer the testing to certify with Apple and Adobe and are taught by certified trainers, and all digital classes take place in an Apple Certified Mac lab.
NMC’s curriculum is augmented by student publications that offer you opportunities to gain real-world experience. The student newspaper White Pine Press is published several times each semester. The NMC Magazine is published semi-annually.
Students who plan to transfer to a 4-year art college should complete the Associate of Applied Science degree in Visual Communication or the Associate in Science and Arts degree if they plan to transfer to a more general liberal arts college. Upon completion of the VCA AAS, you can also opt to add on another year and gain the Visual Communications Creative Management in Art Direction AAS
Want to see what you'll create in class? Choose a link below to view a gallery of student projects.
- Visual Communications 2 »
- Visual Communications 3 »
- Visual Communications 5 »
- VCA 127 - Digital Imaging »
- VCA 150 - Digital Graphic Design »
- VCA 100 - Materials and Techniques »
- VCA 146 - Interactive Animation »
- VCA 125 - Typography »
- VCA 250 - Time Based Media »
- VCA 225 - Visual Communications Studio »
- VCA 235 - Visual Communications Portfolio »
Visual Communications Programs
- Commercial Art
- Creative Management in Art Direction »
NMC Magazine Digital Issues
Check out some student artwork on NMC Magazine's Digital Issue »
What you'll find at NMC
- Transfer courses, two-year associate degrees and professional certificates
- Online learning options
- Access to BA and advanced degrees through NMC's University Center
- Small classes, personal attention
- Scholarship opportunities
- Reasonable tuition
- Excellent academic reputation
- Dedicated faculty & staff
- On-campus housing options
"NMC gave me the courage and credentials I needed to be a designer. With technology rapidly evolving we need creative problem solvers and 'design thinkers' to tackle some of our planet's greatest challenges. Whether you want to work for the public, government, or private sector, there are countless opportunities for those who are passionate and hard working. NMC's VCA program opened up my eyes to a world full of profitable design opportunity. Today, I am employed as a graphic designer/web specialist, thanks largely to NMC's VCA program and the courage it inspired in me to take the next steps forward."
NMC VCA Graduate