Nursing - Practical
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) care for the sick, injured, convalescent and disabled under the direction of physicians and registered nurses. NMC’s LPN program can be completed in two semesters after prerequisite courses are completed. The program is approved by the Michigan Board of Nursing. Graduates are eligible to apply for the State Board Examination for licensing as a practical nurse.
- Employment of LPNs is projected to grow by 21 percent between 2008 and 2018, much faster than average for all occupations. Overall job prospects are expected to be very good, but job outlook varies by industry. The best job opportunities will occur in nursing care facilities and home health care services.
- Most LPNs are generalists and work in all areas of health care. They provide basic care, taking vital signs, temperature, blood pressure and pulse, and assist with bathing patients, monitoring catheters and applying dressings. Some work in a specialized setting, such as a nursing home, a doctor’s office or in home health care. LPNs in nursing care facilities help to evaluate residents’ needs, develop care plans, and supervise the care provided by nursing aides. In doctors’ offices and clinics they may be responsible for making appointments, keeping records and performing other clerical duties.
- Median annual earnings of licensed practical nurses were $41,447 in the State of Michigan in May 2010. Some places licensed practical nurses worked and the average earnings include:
- Nursing care facilities – $42,590
- Home health care services – $42,550
- General medical and surgical hospitals – $40,250
- Offices of physicians – $37,480
NMC nursing programs are approved by the Michigan Board of Nursing and are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, (404) 975-5000).
Degrees & Certificates
- Nursing, Associate Degree (ADN) »
- Nursing, Completion (LPN to ADN) »
- Nursing, Practical (PN)
- Online Nursing Option »
What you'll find at NMC
- Transfer courses, two-year associate degrees and professional certificates
- Online learning options
- Access to BA and advanced degrees through NMC's University Center
- Small classes, personal attention
- Scholarship opportunities
- Reasonable tuition
- Excellent academic reputation
- Dedicated faculty & staff
- On-campus housing options