Soccer Club News
The club is open to all students (male or female) of all levels of soccer skills.
For competitive matches versus other schools, the club advisor/coach will select the appropriate players to participate in those matches. Cost to participate in matches is $5 a player to help cover costs.
Cornerstone 5, nmc 0:
Team struggled to score goals with numerous scoring opportunities, while Cornerstone converted their opportunties. The final score does not reflect that NMC controlled much of possession and attacked often, but some defensive mistakes were converted into goals by Cornerstone.
NMC 3, LSSU 2:
Levi Main's scored the winner with 10 minutes remaining on an asset from Justin Jensen. Miguel Alverado and Garret Koss scored the other goals with assists credited to Jack Dulude and Ed Smith. Hawks Owls center defense of Lucas Monroe, Andrew Bump, Ed Smith and Cole DeMoulipied played strong to stop a number of Laker attacks.
FSU 3, NMC 2:
Hawk Owls dropped a close match 3-2 against Ferris State University Soccer Club. Going down 1-0 early, Ed Smith scored on an assist from Rico Rodriguez for a 1-1 score. FSU went ahead on a penalty kick and pulled ahead 3-1 on another goal, before Miguel Alvarado scored to make it 3-2. Assist went to Eddie Villagomez.
NMC 3, LSSU 0:
One goal and two assists by Ed Smith led NMC over Lake Superior State Club Soccer. Rico Rodriguez had 1 goal and 1 assist, while Hugo Rico had the final goal. Outstanding defense from Nate Scriber, Charley Needham, Greg Greico, and others assisted Burke Copeland in earning the shutout.
UM Flint 5, NMC 1:
NMC Soccer Club dropped their first match 5-1 to University of Michigan Flint. The Hawk Owls got off to a slow start, falling behind 2-0 early before settling in. Down 2-0 at the half, NMC gave up two more early goals in the second half, before Eddie Villagomez scored a goal, assisted by Charley Needham. NMC could have cut the lead in half, but the UM Flint goalkeeper made a save on a penalty kick.
NMC Soccer Club
To involve students in a group activity and learn teamwork. Established to unite soccer players of NMC and provide a fun, competitive environment to play soccer recreationally and competitively. The team is sponsored in part by NMC Student Government Association funds and much appreciated.
UPCOMING Meeting Times
- Weds, Oct 22, 5:30 p.m.
- Thurs, Oct 23, 5:30 p.m.
- Weds, Oct 29, 5:30 p.m.
- Thurs, Oct 30, 5:30 p.m
If you are interested in more info on the NMC Club Soccer, please contact Club Soccer Advisor Don Cunningham.
Fall 2014 Tentative Schedule
- Sunday, September 14 @ UM of Flint Soccer Club (L 5-1)
- Sunday, September 28 vs Local TC Team, 3:30 p.m., (Scrimmage)
- Saturday, October 4 vs Lake Superior State, 1:30 p.m. (W 3-0)
- Sunday, October 5 @ Ferris State Club, 1 p.m. (L 3-2)
- Sunday, October 12 @ Lake Superior State Club, 2 p.m. (W 3-2)
- Saturday, October 18 @ Cornerstone JV, 2 p.m. (L 5-0)
- Sunday, October 26 @ Saginaw Valley State Club, 2 p.m. (depart NMC 10:30 a.m.)
- Saturday, November 1 vs Cornerstone JV, 2 p.m. (Coast Guard Fields)
Fall 2013 season recap (5W 3L 1T)
- Sunday, September 8 vs. Hispanic Soccer League Team – (W 3-1)
- Saturday, September 14 @ Cornerstone University JV – (L 0-1)
- Sunday, September 29 vs. Hispanic League Team – (Scrimmage)
- Saturday, October 5 vs. Cornerstone University JV – (W 3-1)
- Sunday, October 6 vs. Lake Superior State Soccer Club – (W 2-1)
- Sunday, October 6 vs. Lake Superior State Soccer Club – (W 4-3)
- Friday, October 11 @ Ferris State University Club Soccer – (W 1-0)
- Sunday, October 13 @ Grand Valley State Club Soccer – (L 0-5)
- Friday, October 18 @ Davenport University Reserves – (L 0-2)
- Sunday, October 27 @ Saginaw Valley State Club Soccer – (T 2-2)