Skip to main content

Transfer Credits to NMC

Have you attended any other college(s)?  We'd like to give you credit for your work!

In order to award you credit, NMC will need to receive official academic transcripts.  Please send us your college transcripts if any of the following are true:

  • You wish to have previous college work evaluated for credit at NMC.
  • You plan to apply for financial aid. (Financial aid transcripts are also required)
  • You are a veteran and wish to apply for educational benefits.
  • You are seeking admission to a limited enrollment program such as Health Occupations or the Great Lakes Maritime Academy.

Official academic and financial aid transcripts must be mailed directly from former college(s) to the NMC Admissions Office.

Guidelines for Transferring Credits to NMC

Students who have completed courses at other colleges or universities must request that an official transcript be sent to the NMC Admissions office. All transcripts must be sent directly from the transferring institution to NMC. Hand-delivered transcripts or copies will not be accepted. A transcript evaluation will be made when a student has completed an Application for Admission to NMC and has been admitted.

International students should undertake a professional credential evaluation with organizations such as World Education Services or Education Credential Evaluators.  Please note that this process can take 3-6 months so please begin as soon as you apply to NMC.  For more information, visit the International Student pages of our website.

Rules Regarding Transfer of Credits

  • Only credits granted by schools accredited by regionally accredited associations will be considered for transfer to NMC.
  • Credits, not grades, are transferred for 2.0 (C, not C-) or better courses. Courses will be accepted for equivalent NMC courses or elective credit.
  • In most cases, only the courses which apply to the student’s declared program of study will be evaluated.
  • Developmental courses successfully passed with a C or better will be accepted for equivalencies but no credit will be transferred.
  • Military Service School credit may be awarded where such credit is applicable to the student’s declared program of study. Evaluations are consistent with the American Council on Education’s Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Forces recommendations. NMC allows up to 32 semester credits from military service schools.
  • NMC will recognize credits for:
    • Advanced Placement (AP) for scores at least 3 or higher;
    • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) for scores at least 50 or above; and
    • DSST for scores at least 400 or above.
  • No more than 48 semester credits from all external sources will be utilized in transfer by NMC toward a degree or certificate. Note that 15 semester credit hours must be taken from NMC (12 credit hours for a certificate) before a certificate, degree or MACRAO certification may be earned.
  • NMC will not replace a student’s grade recorded for a course taken at NMC with a grade from an equivalent course taken by the student at another institution and transferred back to NMC.
  • Quarter credits or other units of credit transferred in will be converted to semester credits. To convert quarter hours, multiply the quarter hours by 2/3 to equate to semester hours. The converted quarter hours must equal the required semester credits for the purpose of satisfying graduation requirements.

See how your credits will transfer to NMC »

(Link opens in a new window)

Planning to transfer from NMC to another school?

Here's a checklist of things you'll need to do »

Section Navigation Student Services & Resources