Apply for a job on campus
F-1 students are eligible for on campus employment for up to 20 hours per week during the regular semester and up to 40 hours per week during semester breaks.
- Notify your International Advisor that you will be seeking a job on campus. Consider transportation and your current class schedule.
- Search current student employment job openings here »
- Carefully read the job requirements and restrictions as well as the Guide to Student Employment to make sure you fit the hiring criteria and fully understand the eligibility requirements.
- Prepare a resume and cover letter for the job opening. Be specific in your descriptions of your qualifications and background. Take your resume and cover letter to the Writing & Reading Center for review.
- Apply for the job online. If the application asks for short or long-answer responses, use Microsoft Word to write, spell check and save your responses and paste them into the online application.
- Follow instructions for interviewing and/or follow up your application with a visit to the office to which you are applying. Be sure to dress professionally and call ahead to be certain the supervisor will be there for you to meet.
- If you are offered employment, be sure to ask for a job offer letter that you can take to the local Social Security Office to get your Social Security Card (required for work in the U.S.)
How to I...
- Apply for a job on campus
- Apply for a Driver’s License »
- Apply for a Social Security Number »
- Apply for CPT or OPT »
- Change my program of study »
- Find housing off-campus »
- Get credit for university courses taken elsewhere »
- Sign up for NMC classes »
- Transfer to finish my bachelor’s degree »