Apply for a Social Security Number

A Social Security Number is generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. It is used by the U.S. Government for tracking and income tax purposes. Social Security will not assign you a number just to enroll in college or school. You may also need a Social Security number if it is requested while you are applying for automobile insurance or a bank account.

  1. Wait until you have been in the United States for at least 10 business days before you apply for a Social Security number. Be sure you have completed an immigration check in at the Admissions Office prior to starting your application process.
  2. Complete an application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
  3. Gather original supporting documents including:
    1. Your current signed I-20 (if you are an F-1 visa holder) or DS-2019 (if you are a J-1 visa holder)
    2. Your passport with visa inside
    3. Your I-94 record, printed from
    4. A job offer letter from an office on campus of which you will be employed. This letter must:
      1. Identify you by full name
      2. Confirm your current student status at NMC
      3. Identify your employer and the type of work you are, or will be doing
      4. List your employment start date and number of hours you will be working
      5. Give your supervisor’s name and contact information
  4. Take all completed forms and documents to the Social Security Office in Traverse City:
    1329 S Division Street
    Traverse City, MI 49684
    (866) 739-4802

Find more information about applying for a Social Security Card here.

Translate this page